Aluminium doors are extremely durable and fitted with advanced hardware and mechanisms for easy operation and protection against the elements. This begs the question of how to install aluminium and guarantee effective handling.
The installation process is different for various types of aluminium doors. Here are three different types of aluminium doors and their installation process.
Bi-fold doors incorporate aluminium frames at the top and bottom of the structure and require sashes to be removed before the installation process. A step-by-step guide includes:
- Use suitable fixings to secure the door frame in position. For adequate security and support, position the fixings between the frame and brickwork.
- Use silicone sealant and apply it to the pre-drilled holes on the frame sill before properly inserting the fixings. This helps prevent water from seeping into your home.
- The next step involves the frame jambs. Ensure that they are secured to the door frame vertically.
- Fix the frame head in place and make sure that it’s parallel to the ground.
- Perform a diagonal check to make sure that your door has equal measurement on either side.
- Replace sashes that you removed at the beginning of the installation process.
- Adjust the top rollers to make sure that they maintain contact with the track that allows the doors to fold.
Sliding doors open horizontally through a sliding process. Homeowners choose aluminium sliding doors as they allow for greater airflow throughout the home and can therefore help to reduce heating bills.
General installation instructions include:
- First you need to size your sliding door tracks to make sure they fit in your door opening.
- Position your sliding doors in the appropriate formation. This is important as, if you position your doors incorrectly, this may compromise their function. The correct formation usually involves overlapping the doors. We recommend locating the back door first.
- Angle your door so you can connect it to the top track.
- Once you’ve inserted it into the top track, straighten the door and insert the bottom wheel into the bottom grooves.
- Make sure the door is properly engaged by testing its range of movement. If not, remove the door from the top track to disengage it. Repeat this process for other doors.
- Align your doors by ensuring they are plumb to the side doors. Plumb means there is a perfect vertical line visible. You can alter the height angle of each door by adjusting the bottom wheels where necessary.
- Secure your doors in place using clips.
Tilt and slide doors
Aluminium tilt and slide doors are unique installations that combine the sliding door style with a tilt mechanism. They allow for greater functionality and additional sealing.
The basic installation process involves:
- Slide two-strap anchors into the top, bottom, and each side of the frame.
- Apply silicone sealant on the top and bottom of the door where the two frames meet.
- Install H-bars to the door frames using silicone sealant
- Connect the two-door frames together
- Remove the sash from the frame and install the bottom track using the screws provided.
- Slide the scissor stay onto the top track. This allows the door to open at a tilt angle.
- Install top track and secure it with top track cover.
- Re-install the sash and slide the top track and scissors stay into it.
- Install end cap to secure the top track in place.
Whether you’re looking for a professional to take care of the installation process on your behalf or you’re searching for top-qualities aluminium doors, we’ve got you covered.